The Brougham is a town carriage, first built in 1838 to the design of the then Lord Chancellor, Lord Brougham. He wanted
“a refined and glorified street cab which would make a convenient carriage for gentlemen and especially for a man of such ideas as one who carried his own carpet bag on occasions when time was important and his own servants otherwise employed.”
The development of the Brougham made it possible for professional and middle class families to own a closed carriage. The wealthier classes, however, also purchased Broughams for everyday use, keeping their grander carriages for special occasions.
This Brougham was built by Barker & Co of London in the late 19th century and comes from the collection of the Earl of Shrewsbury. The body has a rounded profile and is mounted on elliptic springs front and back. It can be drawn by a single horse or a pair.
The interior is trimmed in maroon morocco leather and wool cloth. There is an area for stowing parcels under the front windows and a pull to attract the attention of the driver. All the windows are fitted with roller blinds. This is not as elaborate as some interiors which came equipped with trays, pockets, boxes and mirrors and even secret compartments.
Accession Number: 64.064.0010
(1) A coachman with David Hollin's Brougham carriage at Highfield Manor, Newport Road, Stafford, 1890 - 1900 (c.)
Source: Staffordshire Museum Service