Miniature Stanhope Phaeton
This miniature Stanhope Phaeton was made for the Shrewsbury family children in the late 19th century for racing and go carting and was intended to be pulled by goats or dogs. The maker was H. Pegram of 320 Euston Road, London. The initials ‘VT’ on the side are probably those of Viscount Talbot.
The full sized Stanhope Phaeton was a sporting four-wheeled open vehicle intended to be driven by the owner rather than the coachman. The distinctive feature of any ‘Stanhope’ is a light spindle-backed seat. This was originally designed for the Hon. Fitzroy Stanhope by the London firm of Tilbury in 1815 and is known as a ‘Tilbury Seat’.
Accession Number: 64.064.0019